Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mega Important

Happy middle of the week! Spring break has been great – I love being able to chill at home. But I should probably be more productive than I’ve been. Oh well! The weather hasn’t been as “springy” as I’d like…but I did run outside on Monday!
Speaking of Monday, we started talking about how important Omega-3’s are to our body, especially as people that exercise and train regularly. I tried to cover the basics as to what they are and what they do.

Today, let’s talk about where we can get these great fatty acids and what they do for our bodies!

So…where can I get these fabulous Omega-3’s?

Excellent sources: flaxseed, walnuts, and salmon

flaxseed_mealVery Good sources: cloves, oregano, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, mustard seeds
Broccoli_Cauliflower_Roasted_Garlic_side_dish
Good sources: brussel sprouts, tofu, halibut, spinach, kale, shrimp, strawberries, tuna
DSC02567

There are also many options out there for fish oil supplement. I would recommend going to your nearest health food store and talking to a nutritionist there, or talking to your doctor. They can be very helpful in determining how much you need and what kind to buy.

So…what health conditions does it help improve?

  • Alzheimer's disease
  • Asthma
  • Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Cancer
  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Depression
  • Diabetes
  • Eczema
  • High blood pressure
  • Huntington's disease
  • Lupus
  • Migraine headaches
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Obesity
  • Osteoarthritis
  • Osteoporosis
  • Psoriasis
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
In addition to helping all of those things, it is known to be an anti-inflammatory, help promote healthy skin and help ease the side effects of depression.

Pretty amazing, right?

Well…I’m signing off. But I’ll leave you with a picture to hint of things to come!
DSC00523 Yes…that is some delicious veggie pizza.

~Do you have a yummy homemade pizza recipe?

~What is your favorite Omega-3 food source?
**Mine are nuts, fish and broccoli. Love em all!

10 comments:

  1. Did you know that pasture fed chickens (hence eggs) and cattle have a hight omega-3 level than the corn fed more traditional ones? It's good to find local farmers for that.

    I love making pizza from scratch. I did an awesome "meatless meat" pizza the other day. It was seitan meatball which are made out of seitan, pecan, herbs, eggs, breadcrumbs. Recipe here www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10039, some "veggie canadian bacon", tomato sauce and cheese. We both loved it and with a whole wheat crust it was super filling.

    My favorite pizza however is made by a local pizzaria and it can easily be duplicated: "Parmesan crust, olive oil base, spinach, Portobello mushrooms, feta & artichoke hearts" Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pizza looks yummy! My husband makes the best homemade pizza...I love it!!! We use flax seeds, Udo's Oil, and eat Salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you! I add flaxseeds and chiaseeds to everything. Pizza is perfect for that too. Did you add some flax to the crust? Homemade is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pizza looks so good! Thanks for all the good info. And I love the idea to add the flax to the crust! I wouldn't have thought of that. I add Italian seasoning, but that's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for the recipe for that pizza :) My favorite omega-3's are nuts and broccoli too! I had some broccoli in my egg white omelette this morning and it was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really great & informative post! You listed lots of foods that I didn't know had Omega-3s in them. Loving the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great info! I didn't realized some of those things had Omega-3s in them.
    Do you use flax meal and ground flax seeds for different things, or do you use them interchangeably (assuming you use the seeds...I have no idea)?

    Really loving the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great info! I didn't realized some of those things had Omega-3s in them.
    Do you use flax meal and ground flax seeds for different things, or do you use them interchangeably (assuming you use the seeds...I have no idea)?

    Really loving the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep! Very good stuff!! And as a Mental Health Therapist who works with a lot of kids with ADHD I can vouch for your statement that Omega-3's can help, iron too. I have recommended that parents get the liquid form of Omega-3 (we have it here at GNC stores) and put it in, hidden, in foods and juices. It can take up to 6 weeks to see a difference but I tell them to be patient. It will be worth it to not put an amphetamine in their little one's system!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. umm yummmm i want that pizza, looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...