Friday, May 6, 2011

Hello, Sunshine

It has been in the 70’s the past few days…absolutely wonderful. I’ve been able to run and bike outside and go on walks without freezing. Love it!

In honor of Cinco de Mayo (and that fact that a friend gave me a ripe avocado), I made a little fresh salsa!

Last year my family planted a salsa garden. I can’t wait to have that this year too! For now, I used the local grocery store as my salsa garden.

salsa2
black beans, avocado, lemon juice, jalapeno peppers, cilantro,
tomatoes, bell pepper

Making fresh salsa is simple and pretty individualized. You can do what you want with different ingredients, and it can be different every time! Here is what I did this time:

First I chopped up the avocado and added the fresh lemon juice in with it in a separate bowl. (and I let the lemon slices sit in there while I did the other stuff)

salsa3

Then I just started chopping! Tomato first, then bell pepper and jalapeno.
salsa4

Next add the black beans (with a little more tomato)
salsa5

And finally, the avocado and cilantro on top!
salsa1

Mix it all together and eat up! Have a fun weekend!

~What are your favorite ingredients for salsa?

~Do you grow a garden? What’s the best thing you grow?

P.S. Check out this recipe…perfect with my salsa!

4 comments:

  1. Yumm!!! Looks delish.

    Also, I LOVE the idea of a salsa garden. Such a good idea! Sadly, we don't have a garden:(. That's one thing I would love to get more into/learn about. I love the idea of having fresh produce at my doorstep, though! My mother-in-law gardens a TON, though, and usually gives us some yummy stuff when we go up to visit her:).

    Sometimes I like to throw a little mango in my salsa for fun!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!! I am so glad you shared a fresh salsa recipe...I know the Farmer's Market opens here soon and I pretty much have to go EVERY saturday just for the fresh salsa but I would love to make my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Looks and sounds totally delicious!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing that I grow are herbs: rosemary, (creeping) thyme, parsley (currently under aphids attack), oregan (huge right now). We also have the tiniest cutest baby basil plants growing. I put some pictures here http://frenchyncarolina.blogspot.com/2011/05/jardinage-et-voisinage.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...