Nope. We aren’t talking about those chia pets that grow green hair. Although, those are pretty cool.
Nutiva Chia Seeds deliver fiber, protein and omega-3s. This mighty seed is the ancient superfood of the Aztecs and Inca empires who consumed chia seeds for their vital nourishment. These gluten-free seeds can be enjoyed in yogurt, oatmeal, baked goods and smoothies.
Dr. Oz has spent quite a bit of time talking about chia seeds on his show and their importance in our diet. Here are some quick facts about these super seeds!
- LOADED with Omega-3 fatty acids. Why do we need omega-3s?Omega-3 fatty acids are the brain-boosting, cholesterol-clearing good fats (monounsaturated). They help reduce inflammation, lubricate joints, and nourish the brain by helping communication between brain cells.
- They also have antioxidants, calcium, protein, fiber, and many other vitamins & minerals.
- They help keep you full longer! Because chia seeds absorb so much water and have high soluble fiber levels, they help release natural, unrefined carbohydrate energy slowly into the bloodstream.
- Conveniently they are also quite easy to digest. Unlike flax seed, chia seeds do not have to be ground up before you ingest them. The human body can easily digest chia seeds, and with about 7 grams of fiber per serving, they actually help.
- Trying to bake with less fat? You can substitute chia gel for any butter or oil in a recipe. That way you still get the fat…but the GOOD kind. The anti-oxidants in chia can even help keep the food tasting fresh longer.
What can you add these super seeds to? Pretty much anything. The most popular foods to add them to are smoothies, oatmeal, cookies, muffins, cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese, soup and salads.
Give them a try! They are so worth it!
~Ever tried chia seeds?
~What’s your favorite way to eat them?