Melanie Douglass is a dietician and personal trainer I worked with this summer at KSL. She has great tips for everything from exercise to nutrition, and she is all about making small changes to bring great results! Here she is giving some tips on how to survive the salad bar. Yes, the salad bar. That place we all go to help us lose weight and stay healthy - however that isn't always the case!
Here are some tips to help you on your next visit:
· Keep it simple, stick with the lean greens. They are all about 10 calories a serving.
· Fill up at the beginning of the salad bar so you won't have enough
room for the calorie packed ingredients at the end of the salad bar.
· Skip the cheese, try and only choose two ingredients out of the middle section of the salad bar.
· If you need protein go for the eggs or the cottage cheese.
· Opt for vinaigrette dressings instead of the calorie packed cream
dressings. You will only add half the calories you would if you use
· Put the dressing on the side. You'll eat less dressing if you use your fork to dip the veggies instead.
· Go for at least five servings of fruits and vegetables.