Wednesday, May 23, 2012

All Day Long

Last week I started a summer internship for KSL, working with the HR department to create a wellness program for the employees. I already love it and am so excited for what the summer will bring!

With that internship, though, comes sitting at a desk from 9 to 5. This is my first time ever doing a desk job like that for a full day. So based off my large amount of experience (ha) I thought I'd share some things that we should ALL be doing ALL DAY LONG, whether you have a desk job or a busier day.

1. Drink Water: I take a water bottle with me to work and make a goal to drink it all the way once before lunch and once before I leave to go home. There are so many benefits to drinking water, and having a water bottle at my desk makes it easy.


2. Move: Every hour or so I make sure I take a break. Sometimes that means simply standing up and stretching, or other times I go walk a couple flights of stairs to get my body moving. It is good for your body and your mind!

http://stjohnscompassion.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/take-a-break-from-work.jpg 

3. Eat: You've heard me talk about eating small meals throughout the day and never skipping breakfast. Lots of people skip meals and end up eating their largest meal at night. Even if you aren't going over your calorie limit for the day from that late night meal, you're cheating yourself of extra burn during the day. Without fuel, your metabolism will slow down to the slowest it can go. So when you eat breakfast on the run, skip lunch and then get home and eat a big meal...you just revved up your metabolism for a few short hours before bed. Think about how much more you could be burning if you kept your metabolism up all day. So eat a good breakfast, eat small snacks through the day, and come home to a normal sized dinner of lean protein and vegetables. 

http://www.expandmywealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/no-skipping-meals.gif 

4. Smile & Laugh: Enjoy what you do, or find things that you can enjoy even if you're not the happiest in your current situation. Life is too short to not smile and laugh your way through it. 

~What do you do every day that helps you live a healthier life?
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to get better at drinking water at my desk too. I just am so bad at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KSL is so lucky to have you! I know how much you've helped me! Great tips for desk jobs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...