Monday, January 16, 2012

The Dealer’s Workout

A lot of people find the treadmill to be quite boring. I will definitely be the first to say I would rather be pounding the pavement. However, that ideal running scenario of mine is frequently thwarted due to my being a serious wimp when it comes to running in the cold. I did get some sweet new cold running gear that I have been able to use a time or two since Christmas. But I’m still partial to the warm basement room with the treadmill.

That being said…I thought I’d bring a little spice to your next treadmill workout. It is a 40 minute workout including the warm-up and cool down, so it’s a nice quick “get-er-done” sort of workout. And all you need to do it are some index cards and markers. And a treadmill.

DSC01239

I used 4 cards ripped in half (who uses scissors these days) for a total of 8 workout cards. 5 have various running workouts, and 3 have various walking workouts.

Start with a 5 minute warm-up, such as an easy jog, jumping jacks, fast walk, etc.

Then comes 30 minutes of whatever the card deals you!

DSC01242

The running cards just tell you a speed and a time. The walking cards tell you the incline, time and speed.

DSC01243

I would shuffle the cards up, place them face down on the treadmill, and then get to work.

DSC01244

You won’t get bored…AND you’ll get a great workout.

Finish it off with a 5 minute cool down jog or walk.

This “technique” could also be used to strength training exercises, with each card saying an exercise, the rep, weight, or time.

Feel free to modify with speeds or you could make cards say to run or walk a certain distance in a certain amount of time. See how everyone can make this work? That’s the goal!

Let me know if you try it?

~How do you make the treadmill a bit more exciting?

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea to mix it up and make it interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...